From: Darin Adler (darin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-30 13:04:08

On 1/30/02 9:07 AM, "Matt Austern" <austern_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Besides, case-insensitive string comparison raises two more questions.
> First, which locale do you do it in? The program's global locale is
> surely the wrong answer. Second, std::ctype's mechanism for case
> conversion isn't quite right. It assumes you can do case conversion one
> letter at a time and it assumes that the uppercase version of a string
> always has the same number of characters as the lowercase version. Both
> assumptions are wrong.

Note that in the context of path manipulation, if we compare paths at all,
we want to compare paths just as the file system does. So we don't really
want "case-insensitive string comparison" as such. We just want string
comparison that exactly matches the underlying file system.

That having been said, it is probably difficult if not impossible to do this
for the various reasons already cited.

    -- Darin