From: Jack M. Thompson (JMThompson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-30 17:18:14

The way I look at persistence or serialization is about the same as what
you are saying. The mechanism must simple save and restore all of the
objects. All of every objects data must be restored as designated by
the developer (some parts of the object won't need to persist).

As far as using pointers and restoring them, I agree, in a way. I don't
use pointers much anymore, but when I do, I like to make sure that all
of the code that handles their lifetime is very well controlled.