From: Mickaël Pointier (mpointie_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-31 04:06:37

>> (the only two arguments
>> I've ever heard against this was that "printf" was more intuitive,
>> which is true only for old C coders, and that the manipulator
>> approach was very verbose, but I could care less about that).

> I'll second this!
>
> I am not an old-school C coder, never had to learn printf and rigoroulsy avoid having anything to do with it. My brief dealings
found it far from intuitive and visually dense so I couldn't see the wood for the trees.

> I'm also against *unnecessary* verbosity, and some of the iostream stuff may be too far the other way but at least it is clear.
When it comes to trade-offs, I'll take clarity over terseness!

> As someone who is observing the thread, rather than participating, my observation is that I quite liked the [] syntax, and I would
likely investigate any library based on that just for the 'rightness' of the feel. I will avoid any library based on printf-style
syntax. I'm not yet sure if this library is targetted at me to begin with though, so take these last comments with a pinch of salt!

Well, all oppinions are in the nature. Mine is opposite to yours.

Personaly I appreciate the printf syntax because all the formating stuff is
visualy located around the thing you want to format, and it has no consequence
on the remaining of the things to be formated.
I really hate the c++ stream way of setting precision, width, whatever else,
because it's more a kind of state machine that keep settings until they are
changed.

    Mickael Pointier