From: Douglas Gregor (gregod_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-31 11:30:59

On Thursday 31 January 2002 11:09 am, you wrote:
> There is nothing wrong with the compiler; the problem is caused by
> boost::function<void, ...>'s void return workaround. It substitutes void
> with boost::detail::function::unusable.
>
> If you use bind(single_arg_func, 13), without the '<void>', it will work
> (on partial-* compilers.) If you want to use the explicit syntax, the
> correct return type is 'boost::detail::function::unusable'.

So bind won't swallow return values? I think that an expression like:

bind<T>(single_arg_func, 13)

should say "I want a return value of type T", not "single_arg_func has a
return value of type T". Note that the former is the case for T != void,
because bind will perform an implicit conversion from signal_arg_func's
return type to T when it returns. When T == void, however, the return type of
the bound function object is required to be exactly void -- this seems
inconsistent to me.

Function is also to blame here, because function<void, ...> really shouldn't
be returning something other than void. I'm going to go try out some
workarounds...

        Doug