From: James Kanze (kanze_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-10 12:12:13

"David Abrahams" <david.abrahams_at_[hidden]> writes:

|> > IMHO, this is the biggest problem with []. The graphics don't
|> > suggest anything. (This is also why I like the named function,
|> > with. With says something.)

|> It seems to me that "with" is almost devoid of semantic value. Any
|> f(a, b, c) could be transformed into f.with(a).with(b).with(c) just
|> as sensibly. What does "with" suggest to you?

It's a linking work. You're right that it could apply to just about any
f( a, b, c ). It's the alternative that I use when the only way to get
f( a, b, c ) would be stdarg.h. All that it suggests is that whatever f
is does whatever it does with a, b and c.

I definitely like the idea of supporting format( "...", a, b, c ) for up
to a certain number of parameters. It wasn't available, or at least I
wasn't aware of it, when I developped my code. I think, however, that
it is still useful for some sorts of objects which take an open-ended,
untyped list.

--
James Kanze                                mailto:kanze_at_[hidden]
Ziegelhüttenweg 17a, 60598 Frankfurt, Germany Tel. +49(0)179 2607481