From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-10 14:40:21

At 07:50 AM 2/8/2002, John Maddock wrote:

>I've been getting requests to support regex on compilers that don't have
>any exception handling support - mainly embedded VC++. As a result I've
>added the config macro BOOST_NO_EXCEPTIONS to support this, and modified
>the regex code appropriately.
>
>Beman, I hope you don't mind but I've also modified catch_exceptions.hpp
so
>that the test programs will build without EH support.
>
>This is *not* intended to be an endorsement for "Embedded C++", just a
>practical solution to a real problem.

It seems to me that just adding BOOST_NO_EXCEPTIONS isn't enough. There
needs to be some documentation that explains:

   * Why it is there (EmbeddedC++).

   * That boost libraries are not required to support it.

   * For boost libraries that do wish to support it, what are they
supposed to do when they detect an error that is documented as throwing an
exception? Do all such errors become undefined behavior in Embedded
C++? (I'm sorry - I've never used Embedded C++ so don't know what they do
about errors which normally would be reported via exception.)

--Beman