From: vesa_karvonen (vesa_karvonen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-11 01:51:22

--- In boost_at_y..., Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_a...> wrote:
> the rule for quality software should be:
>
> 1) Add the regression test case to detect the problem.
> 2) Run the test (to make sure the bug really is detected.)
> 3) Fix the bug.
> 4) Run the test (to make sure the bug really got fixed.)

Should the above procedure be added to the bugs page
(http://www.boost.org/more/bugs.htm) or perhaps some other page?

Perhaps we should also explicitly encourage users to submit
regression tests:
- Typically the user who finds a bug already has code that can be
extracted to be a test.
- The test can be very effective in communicating the bug.
- The test may then be used as a base for adding to the regression
test suite.
We should recommend users submitting bugs to take a look at the
regression test of the library/component and design the bug revealing
test so that it can easily be added there.

Also, how about adding to the bug procedure for developers with CVS
access. If you are a Boost developer who has CVS access, then instead
of merely reporting the bug, you should consider adding a test case
to the library regression test suite making sure that the bug will
not be forgotten.