From: j.adelman_at_[hidden]
Date: 2002-02-12 14:25:27

Quoting Karl Nelson <kenelson_at_[hidden]>:

> > > Second suggestion.
> > >
> > > Don't use "%1" this is too easily confused
with
> > other
> > > formats ie. Is this a printf format or
yours?
> > > I see %1s.
> > >
> > > Use [1] (boost suggestion) or {1} (.NET).
Also
> > this avoids
> > > the ending tag problem.
> >
> > That sounds reasonable; this was just my
default
> > choice because it had been used a lot, rather
> > than a thought-out decision. Alternatively,
> > could make this a parameter with a default,
but
> > this may add too much complexity. I could
also
> > add a means to specify the format as a
> > vector<int> & a seperation character, for if
> > there is a non-translation use. One thing
I'd
> > like opinions on is whether 0-based counting
is a
> > good thing, or should be replaced with 1-
based
> > counting.
>
> Most systems I know of are 1-based.
> - C printf
> - awk ($0 means whole string)
> - perl
> - shell
>
> I suspect python is 1-based. I can't find .NET
page right now.

> I am sure a number of others.
> Arrays start from zero because there is no
offset for
> the first element. That argument does not apply
to something
> like formatting arguments. History generally
seems to favor
> 1-based. However, if you are going to be
indexing those arguments
> to the user interface it would be compelling to
use 0-based.

> --Karl

I hadn't thought of allowing indexed access to
the stored strings. I didn't really expect the
user to see anything except the reorder object
which doesn't have any link to the underlying
buffer. What would such functionality be used
for?

James

This mail sent through UK Online webmail