From: boost (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-12 14:05:01

Salut,

On Tuesday 12 February 2002 20:20, j.adelman_at_[hidden] wrote:

> Does anyone else see a need for a template-based
> library for these kind of calculations? If it
> works, it won't be pretty, but it'll save some

Why won't it be pretty ? Have I missed something ?
I like my aproach because it's simple.

> anguish from when the paper-and-pencil method
> fails you. The obvious question is whether the

That's one benefit: reducing typos. On does not need to
type the derivative of a function.

> speed benefit is worth it. I think it is when
> the calculation will occur in the inner loop of a
> program which takes 4 days to run, and that's the
> cut-down version I ran when I realised how long
> the full version would take to run.

Well, a typical application would be an inner loop of a
differential equation solver. These tend to run very long
if you have to apply them on a grid.
And yes, I'd be happy if my application would finish it 4 days :).

Best wishes,
Peter