From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-12 20:21:11

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Binion" <rbinion_at_[hidden]>

> My apologies for sending this to the list, especially if it is the wrong
> place to do so.

This is boost-related, so it's perfect.

> But I am getting extremely frustrated trying to build on
> Win98 with VC6. It seems to be a command line length problem, i.e. the
> commands that jam is trying to execute are too long for the win98 command
> interpreter. I tried searching through the archived messages of this list
> see if anyone else has had the same problem, but the only thing I could
find
> was a few references to the "subst hack", which apparently is no longer
> needed. Well I tried it anyways .. and it still did not help.

That's mostly for dealing with spaces in pathnames, not for line-length
limitations.

> If anyone
> could offer some help, I would greatly appreciate it. I assume I am doing
> something wrong since I couldn't find any sign of others having the same
> problem, so please don't worry about hurting my feelings ;) (heh) .. I
just
> want to get this working.

Well, I don't have Win98 here (I'm lying; I have disks, but it's not
installed), so I can't test on Win98 directly. However, I made a bunch of
Win98-specific fixes for John Maddock in December, and AFAIK he was able to
get work done. I guess I'd really need some specifics to even be able to
guess what the problem was. I hope that someone else has been building with
Win98 successfully and will be able to clear this up for us.

-Dave