From: Daniel Frey (daniel.frey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-13 10:28:35

Carl Daniel wrote:

> From: "Daniel Frey" <daniel.frey_at_[hidden]>
>
> I've wanted 'final' before, but for a reason this doesn't address: optimization. Within a 'final' class, the compiler
> can statically bind all virtual member function references, since it's knows that there can be no more-derived class
> that it doesn't know about.
> That, unfortunately, doesn't appear to have a solution without a language extension or very sophisticated whole-program
> optimization.

As you said, this IMHO cannot be addressed without a real keyword and
support from the compiler. But compilers try to find out these things
anyway. I don't know whether my class-template can be used by some
clever compilers as a hint for this kind of optimization but I doubt
it...

Regards, Daniel

--
Daniel Frey
aixigo AG - financial training, research and technology