From: Daniel Frey (daniel.frey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-13 10:42:40

Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

> Try looking here:
> http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq2.html#no-derivation

Actually it says that Carl's reason for 'final' isn't a valid one -
while mine is. At least Bjarne doesn't give a counter-example for the
second reason, instead, he gives a solution for it (similar to mine, but
not a template).

But I happen to disagree with the first argument as a virtual function
call may not be significally slower than a 'normal' function call, but
it can yield a serious performance impact if it replaces an inline
function call - inline functions, if they are small enough, can allow
far more optimizations to the compiler and these are all lost for
virtual functions. Therefore, I still consider Carl's point a valid one
- although I have no solution for it :(

Regards, Daniel

--
Daniel Frey
aixigo AG - financial training, research and technology