From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-14 07:08:25

Way cool, Rene!

Remarks:

diffs between python.jam HEAD and v. 1.14 look broken to me. Could you
please take a close look?

I know we're planning to throw away the existing system, but you never know
how long it might last. The changes in boost_base.jam (like
expand-xxx-names, e.g.) need some documentation and the stage rule needs to
be broken into smaller pieces if anyone else is to be able to maintain it.

Some of the HTML documenation changes look wrong to me, e.g.

--
    jam -fallyourbase-path stools="msvc gcc"
                           ^^^^^^
 . . . `-runtime-link-static
 . . .   +-user-interface-console
 . . .   `user-interface-GUI
                         ^^^
--
Another:
TOOLS    Platform-dependent    stools="gcc msvc"    build with gcc and msvc
                               stools=gcc build with gcc
                               ^^^^^^
(spell checkers are not always our friend ;-))
--
It would probably be better to say that multiple targets with the same name
are allowed *within a subproject* as long as they're of different types.
--
The HTML describing tags for stage targets doesn't look right.
    <tag><feature | variant>value
I think it would be better to kill the spaces. And don't you really mean
"property" in place of "feature"? How do you make a tag for <runtime-link>?
Examples in the HTML would be a big help.
--
Another case-change problem:
flags msvc CFLAGS <optimization>off : /Od ;