From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-14 11:45:15

In two postings, bill_kempf wrote:

>--- In boost_at_y..., "David Abrahams" <david.abrahams_at_r...> wrote:
>> Is this something having to do with the .css? No matter what I do
>in my
>> browser, the text size stays the same.
>
>I'm not sure. The .css does specify specific point sizes for the
>text... but I would have thought the browser would just "stretch" the
>text accordingly. I'll do some research and see. If it is because
>of the specification of point sizes for the fonts I can remove that
>portion in boost.css.

And then again,

>OK, you want the browser to select the font (which you override
>globally with browser preferences). Currently I'm on a project
>that's striving hard to ensure a consistent look and feel in HTML
>applications, so leaving the choice to the browser is not
>acceptable. However, Boost doesn't have the same strict look and
>feel needs, so I'm open to leaving the choice up to the browser.

I think both of these have now been resolved, but I just want to reiterate
that Boost's HTML needs to defer specific fonts and sizes to the browser.

Specific fonts are a problem for browsers on unusual (to computer users)
platforms like web appliances.

Specific sizes are a disaster if the screen size is particularly large or
small, or if the resolution is particularly high or low. I run into that
personally a lot when I hit web sites that display fonts so small they
can't be read easily on my 1600 x 1200 19" screen, and refuse to respond to
the browser's larger settings.

--Beman