From: Carl Daniel (cpdaniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-18 09:50:32

From: "Herb Sutter" <hsutter_at_[hidden]>
> Hi folks,
>
> Pardon if this has already been discussed on the list, but I'd like your
> feedback on this question: "What are the most needed or desired features in
> C++ for modern library writing in general and Boost in particular?"
>
> Two usual suspects:
> - typedef templates
> - typeof (with gcc semantics?)
>
> What else should be on the list? For example, is there language support that
> would assist type traits?

I'd like to see the rule for template template argument compatibility relaxed (e.g. such that std::vector<T,A=allocator>
and myclass<T> would both be compatible with a template template parameter declared as template <class>). The current
rule appears to have been adopted to better meet with users expectations (as compared to function pointer
compatibility). The not-infrequent threads on c.l.c++.m about this subject suggest that it did just the opposite:
institutionalized behavior which is counter to expectations and unnecessarily limiting.

-cd