From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-18 11:12:52

I'd like to see some form of named/keyword parameters for template
parameters and perhaps also function parameters. The lack of this has made
parts of the boost graph library very difficult to design and implement.

As posted earlier, there's a difficulty in trying to shoehorn named
parameters into the current framework, because parameters names currently
don't mean anything, only position does. Take for example:

template <typename A = char, typename B = int> class foo;
template <typename B = char, typename A = int> class foo;

foo<B=int> // what does this mean?

However, another approach would to keep templates that use named
parameters separate from old-style positional parameter templates. This
could be done using different syntax. I suppose throwing another keyword
like "explicit" in there would do the trick. If someone has a better idea
I'm all ears. So here's one possibility:

explicit template <typename A = char, typename B = int> class foo;
// the next line is illegal: names, positions, and defaults must all match
explicit template <typename B = char, typename A = int> class foo;

foo<B=float> // Ok, and A gets default, so A=char

Cheers,
Jeremy