From: danl_miller (danl_miller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-18 16:49:48

--- In boost_at_y..., "Gary Powell" <powellg_at_a...> wrote:
> Allocators: They're broken. I wish I knew how to fix them, so I'm
> hoping someone on the list will chime in with the necessary
suggestions.
> Besides the fact that containers should be forced to use the
typedefs
> they provide. (See Meyers #10 "Effective STL" ) All I've managed to
> realize is that I can't solve my memory issues with them. (Shared
memory,
> special smart pointers without smart references etc.) Perhaps
forcing
> allocators to provide a operator==() to test for state vs stateless
versions
> would help. But there may be more.

  Other than container implementations not internally using the
typedefs which the external interface provides, what were the specific
difficulties which arose with using allocators which caused you to
abandon all hope for them in their C++98 form? I think that an
explicit listing of the problems with allocators would stimulate
discussion of potential solutions.