From: Darin Adler (darin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-21 13:17:36

Just a quick note about our current C++ feature discussion:

    It's a great idea, and on topic for the Boost mailing list, to talk
about the C++ features that would be most helpful to implement libraries
like the ones in Boost. It's similarly on topic to discuss insights about
the language based on our experiences implementing Boost, and the results of
such a discussion could be a big help to the C++ community as a whole.

    But it's off topic to have a general "make suggestions for the new C++
language" discussion here. As more and more of the traffic on the list is
about new C++ features, the moderators are beginning to see posts from
newcomers to the Boost community with general C++ feature suggestions
without a clear connection to the Boost libraries. Lets try to keep the
connection to Boost libraries clear in both the messages and, where
possible, the message Subject lines. General discussion of the language can
take place in other forums that are not Boost-specific.

That having been said, I applaud Herb for the work he's doing: collecting
suggestions here and, I presume, distilling them down for discussion with
others and perhaps some specific proposals to the committee. It's things
like this that make it a pleasure to have him as a colleague.

    -- Darin