From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-22 08:34:44

From: "David Abrahams" <david.abrahams_at_[hidden]>
> auto is a wierd edge case: it isn't, strictly speaking, needed for library
> writing. However, libraries which use expression templates (e.g. lambda
and
> bind!) are a lot more usable if we have auto. If there were a way to
provide
> the same functionality using the existing language, you can be sure that
> writers of such libraries would do so.

Yes, absolutely agreed, but we need to get our priorities right. I don't
need auto to implement a real Boost.Bind (or a real Lambda), but I do need
argument forwarding and typeof. This is my "library writer" perspective (
i.e. the on-topic part. :-) ) (The pro-auto perspective is in the other
post.)