From: Iain.Hanson_at_[hidden]
Date: 2002-02-22 13:38:28

     Right now, boost does not have an installer as has been mentioned by
     many others on this thread.

     If an open source library wants to use boost then it will either need
     to hand install it ( not a big problem ) or creat a platform
     installer.

     The recent failures reported on here ( including your own ) were
     caused by bugs in the libraries. The fact that jam goes on to build
     all the targets it can is IMO a good thing (TM). If as a developer,
     you can't re-direct stdout and stderr or scroll back up throough your
     xterm's output to find error messages then I'm not sure the tag
     "experienced developer" would apply.

     Like Bill Kempf, I had nothing to do with developing boost::build and
     managed to get it going when it required bootstrapping. As a
     replacement for make, it is far supperior IMO. Unlike Bill, I'm a
     boost newbie having only been hanging out here for about six months.

     BTW ./configure followed by make install would fail on 99% of the
     systems I have worked on for 99% of the opensource software I have
     ever used. The default dir for install is /usr/local which is normally
     owned by root. And I rarely have root access.

     learning to use jam is no more difficult than learning to use
     ./configure

     However, yes we do need an installer.

     /ikh