From: hubert_holin (Hubert.Holin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-22 18:29:51

Paris (U.E.), le 23/02/2002

        bonsoir

--- In boost_at_y..., "Herb Sutter" <hsutter_at_a...> wrote:

> > Just a quick note about our current C++ feature discussion:
> >
> > It's a great idea, and on topic for the Boost mailing list, to talk
> > about the C++ features that would be most helpful to implement libraries
> > like the ones in Boost. It's similarly on topic to discuss insights about
> > the language based on our experiences implementing Boost, and the results of
> > such a discussion could be a big help to the C++ community as a whole.
> >
> > But it's off topic to have a general "make suggestions for the new C++
> > language" discussion here.
>
> Indeed, and thanks to you, Dave, and Beman for repeating this. My question was
> for a list of features "most needed" for writing C++ "libraries ... and Boost
> in particular."
>
> So far, there have been three such suspects discussed: typedef templates,
> auto, and typeof.

                Please make that four!

                I believe the additional numeric_limits member functions I
proposed in an earlier reply to your original post would help the
writing of numerics-oriented libraries. I know I would use them in a
revision of my quaternion and octonion Boost libraries (and sundry
special functions). They would help (simplify) the writing of more
robust numerical libraries (where platforms allow).

> > That having been said, I applaud Herb for the work he's doing: collecting
> > suggestions here and, I presume, distilling them down for discussion with
> > others and perhaps some specific proposals to the committee.
>
> My motivation is to understand what you need in the way of language support,
> and to see which ideas are: a) essential; and b) ready for prime time.
>
> Next, I want to take a straw poll on the three above features just to gauge
> public support. Beyond that, I'll stop adding volume to the Boost list for
> now, I promise. :-)
>
> Herb

        Merci

                        Hubert Holin
                        Hubert.Holin_at_[hidden]

I am not a mad scientist, I am a mad mathematician!