From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-23 08:37:04

> I've written a design document for a file system library. See
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boost/files/filesystem/filesystem_librar
> y_design.htm
>
> It is still rough, but should serve to focus discussions.

Doesn't seem that rough :-)

> Comments appreciated.

>Be able to write portable script-style file system operations

I think the 'scripting' inspiration is right on target. It might be worth
mentioning that Perl and other scripting languages that provide these types of
libraries.

>Given a path, iteration (meeting std InputIterator requirements) yielding names
>suitable for use in standard library I/O operations.

If you don't have a current working directory then the iterator will need to
return a full path in hierarchical systems, not just a name to be able to be
able to open a file. Or am I missing something?

Also, don't we need a functions to distinguish between files and directories.
Something like:

Given a path provide a function returning a bool that indicates if the path is a
file.

Given a path provide a function returning a bool that indicates if the path is a
directory.

Jeff