From: jelco78 (marcojez_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-23 10:53:29

Hello everyone, this is my first post in this group.

I discovered Boost just a couple of weeks ago, while I was looking
for a good portable thread library. I gave a quick look to the
libraries list, and I noticed the absence of a socket library.
Browsing the mailing list archive I found the "Sockets Library
Requirements" document, which defines the guidelines for writing a
socket library, so I thought that if such a library has not been
written yet, I could help its development someway.
Some months ago, I wrote a socket library for my own use, and now I
can see it meets almost all of the requirements listed in the
guidelines document.

Only one thing: I can't understand the purpose of "Layer 2" in the
proposed design. The library I wrote was composed of only 2 layers:
a first, low-level, portable wrapper class set for sockets and
addresses (which show a 100% ISO C++ interface, and a portable
implementation), and then an higher-level stream interface (based on
a std::basic_streambuf derivation).

So, what is the purpose and structure of "Layer 2" as described in
the guidelines?

Thanks everyone,

   Marco