From: Darin Adler (darin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-25 11:06:00

On 2/25/02 7:54 AM, "Ross Smith" <r-smith_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> No, it's a closed source mindset ("programmers need to be able to
> install boost") vs open source mindset ("_everynody_ needs to be able to
> install boost") thing.

I don't agree. My mindset is "nobody needs to be able to install boost; any
programmer who wants to use it will grab a copy and put it in their
program".

I don't see what this has to do with closed source vs. open source. And I
work on free software (the Gnome project) all day long. So I'm not sure
what's wrong.

>> Unix programmers expect something like "configure; make; make install", then
>> get the includes and libraries out of soms special directory. Macintosh
>> programmers expect to point the IDE at the headers and the source files. I'm
>> not sure exactly what Windows programmers expect.
>
> We've explained over and over and over agin that what _programmers_
> expect isn't the issue. The issue is what non-programmer _end users_
> expect.

Non-programmer end users don't need to know anything about Boost. It's just
included as part of the source code of the programs. It can't currently be
treated as a separate library because of versioning issues.

    -- Darin