From: Eyal Farago (eyalfa_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-26 02:10:00

-----Original Message-----
From: Daryle Walker [mailto:darylew_at_[hidden]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 5:12 AM
To: boost_at_[hidden]
Subject: [boost] Re: About installation

The threadmon is a dll (under win32 platforms) since it takes advantage
of the dll load/unload Behavior of the win32 platform.
It is designed to do some deallocation of thread specific storage when a
thread is detached from the process.
From looking at the source I understood that under platforms other than
win32, the threadmon library is empty . This library/dll solves a
specific win32 problem by using win32 dll features.

Eyal.

on 2/25/02 4:02 PM, Bill Kempf at williamkempf_at_[hidden] wrote:

> --- In boost_at_y..., Daryle Walker <darylew_at_m...> wrote:
>> I've seen a lot of messages about using autoconf or jam for
installing
>> Boost. I wonder if these people are making the issue more
complicated than
>> it is. Remember that some of us (like pre-X Mac users) use Boost
without
>> Jam, we just resolve the build issues manually. It's not that hard,
just:

>> 1. Expand the Boost archive somewhere
>> 2. Have your makefile or project file point to the BOOST_ROOT/boost
>> directory as part of its search for (system) header files.
>> 3. For mandatory source files, add those individually to your
project file
>> or makefile.
>> 4. There is no step 4....
>>
>> I don't think there are any mandatory source files that must be put
in a
>> separate (static or dynamic) library first. I'm not entirely sure of
this,
>> as the Boost.Threads people always talk about a DLL.
>
> On Windows platforms Boost.Threads *requires* (I wish it didn't)
> special care when building. Specifically, the threadmon stuff must
> be in a DLL. So your simple 4 step process above won't work there.
> I also expect that this sort of thing will continue to get more and
> more complicated as we add more and more libraries that depend on OS
> specific things.
[TRUNCATE]

Why does it need to be in a separate DLL instead of being linked with
the
user code? Don't OS callbacks work per function, not per library
container?

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie