From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-26 09:34:03

From: "Braden McDaniel" <braden_at_[hidden]>
> > * My estimate is that an autoconf/automake expert can produce the
necessary
> > infrastructure that will auto-enable Boost in less time than we spent on
> > this discussion. Is this correct?
>
> Yes.
>
> > * Given the above infrastructure, what will the average Boost developer
do
> > in order to support it?
>
> If we take "average Boost developer" to mean one who does not want to
> mess with the autotools build, s/he would mail an autotools build person
> whenever there were changes that required modification of the Jam build.

"Average Boost developer" as in, maintains a library that doesn't need
special configuration or build steps, the only thing that changes is the
list of .cpp files.

> For the persons in charge of making Boost releases, a few steps would be
> added to the release checklist: update libtool library version numbers,
> and change the Boost version number in configure.ac.

Good!

* What is stopping auto* experts from contributing the necessary
infrastructure?
* How can I (or we, the Boost developers in general) help?