From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-26 10:39:58

At 09:03 AM 2/26/2002, Jan Langer wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Vladimir Prus wrote:

>the current approach assumes just _one_ filesystem being available and
>this one will be used. how it actually works and which format it uses
>for identifiers is impl.defined.
>
>i didn't say that your proposal is wrong :-)

That's a good point. If someone has a stroke of genius, and can actually
specify a library with a much more expansive definition of filesystem and
pathname, and in a form that could be standardized, they would probably win
some kind of major award. But some of the issues, particularly
internationalization to non-western languages are very difficult and would
require much diplomacy.

What Jan, I, and others are working on isn't very aggressive or
imaginative. But it stands a very real chance of being (1) very useful and
(2) standardizable.

--Beman