From: Iain.Hanson_at_[hidden]
Date: 2002-02-26 11:11:29

After N re-working I have finally come up with the following design
for an network & transport address.

socket address Feature Model

address : address [ Representation ,
                                          Marshalling ,
                                          TransmissionType ,
                                          Location ]

Representation : sockaddr_in | sockaddr_in6 | SomeOther

Marshalling : NetworkByteOrder | LittleEndian | SomeOther
| None

TransmissionType : Unicast | Broadcast | Multicast

Location : Local | Remote

In practice, Representation would be a Protocol Traits class.

Marshalling is, in every case I am aware of, NetworkByteOrder or None however
the possible variation point allows for the future ( as the C socket API does as
well ).

The TransmissionType prevents the creation of a TCP socket with anything other
than a Unicast address and could also validate the bit pattern within the
address.

Location is relative to the current program or process. This is because you can
only bind and listen on a local address and connect or accept from a remote
address. Similarly with sendto and recvfrom.

This can be implemented using named template parameters and one layer for each
of the four policies.

Design Notes

This class can only be constructed with strings in the dotted decimal format.
I.e. "10.0.0.1" or possibly "10.0.0.1:12345". An address can not be created from
a hostname or DNS name. This is because the performance characteristics of DNS
lookup are substancially slower, potentially involving a number of network and
file accesses before returning. Therefore, for converting DNS names to addresses
and services to ports see resolver.

Constructors.

The default constructor and a constructor taking an already marshalled address
will go in the lowest ( base ) layer. The rest of the Constructors should
be implemented in the marshall layer.

Implementation

To avoid having platform headers in the boost networking headers, I have
created, for instance csocket.h as my implementation of socket.h and am in the
process of doing this for cinet.h and all the other platform headers
specifically used for sockets.

I'm currently working on the generator and hope to post it in a few days.

comments and questions appreciated.

/ikh

for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please

arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore
of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If
verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This
related financial instruments.