From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-28 07:39:39

From: "Steve M. Robbins" <steven.robbins_at_[hidden]>
> Hi,
>
> This file includes <asm/atomic.h>, apparently hoping to find the
> definition of ATOMIC_INIT(). This works on my i368 machine, but not
> on the Debian sparc or powerpc builders. Is it kernel version
> dependent? If so, in what version did it appear?

I don't know. I am not a Linux kernel expert by any means, and there is no
definitive documentation that I know of. :-(

Another strong case for ./configure. (HAVE_ASM_ATOMIC_H.)

> Is it safe to just
> substitute the pthreads version in
<boost/detail/atomic_count_pthreads.hpp>?

Yes.

> The arm, alpha and hppa builders fail for other reasons. Full logs
> available at http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?arch=&pkg=boost.

All except the alpha build fail because they don't have a working
asm/atomic.h. Most don't define atomic_read, atomic_inc, atomic_dec_and_test
at all, while HPPA uses 'new' as a variable name, apparently.

Looks like I'll have to disable atomic_count_linux.hpp and lwm_linux.hpp by
default, using pthreads instead... Ideas?