From: Markus Schöpflin (markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-28 08:41:48

Hi there,

I just tried to compile the current format library code from the vault with the above configuration and was bitten by a well known namespace handling bug in MSVC6 resulting in many compile time errors.

The problem basically is that the following code won't work when using STLport because of MSVCs inability to deal with the STLport namespace magic.

#include <ostream>
namespace foo {
  typedef std::basic_ostream<char> my_ostream;
}

The workaround is to replace the above with the following.

#include <iostream>
namespace foo {
  using std::basic_ostream;
  typedef basic_ostream<char> my_ostream;
}

Therefore I put

using std::basic_ios;
using std::basic_ostream;
using std::basic_ostringstream;
using std::char_traits;

in the appropriate places and replaced all qualified usages of these types with the unqualified version. Et voilà, a simple test case compiles and runs ok.

Markus