From: Rainer Deyke (root_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-28 15:25:58

----- Original Message -----
From: "rameysb" <ramey_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 11:20 AM
Subject: [boost] (unknown)

> b) implementation of archives in terms of istream/ostream. no
> registered objections.

I'm actually not really happy with this, but in the absence of binary
streams I am unable to offer a better alternative.

> c) binary format archive
> issues - here is a summary of the binary/text archive issue
> i) binary data is fundementally non-portable

This is fundamentally untrue. Ones and zeros are as portable as it
gets, and can be used across all locales and character sets.

> ii) converting to/from text alters floating/double numbers
> iii) binary storage is considered more efficient

Not to mention less error-prone.

--
Rainer Deyke | root_at_[hidden] | http://rainerdeyke.com