From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-01 15:18:07

----- Original Message -----
From: "braden_mcdaniel" <braden_at_[hidden]>

> > That's not a very smooth solution for those who need to test against
> > multiple versions.
>
> Such persons are the minority. It is better to make their lives a
> little more difficult than to make the lives of everyone else much
> more difficult.
>
> What other libraries use a scheme like Rene suggested?

Python does something similar.

> These issues with deployment aren't new, and they certainly aren't
> unique to Boost. Why are novel solutions being proposed?

Why do you say "novel"? It's not as though these ideals are local
inventions. Rene's suggestion is taken from other *nix libraries and tools
we've seen where versioning counts.

> > Having a version number under a common prefix really
> > simplifies configuration: it means you don't need to explicitly
> specify an
> > installation directory for each version you want to test against.
>
> Testing against multiple versions of Boost is definitely an edge case.

Since it appears we can make everyone happy using symbolic links, do we
really have to choose?

-Dave