From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-01 16:54:54

At 11:10 AM 2/28/2002, Rene Rivera wrote:

>>> This is probably a naive view, but shouldn't Boost install do
>>whatever is
>>> necessary to make it look like Boost is part of the compiler
>>supplied
>>> object library set? (Even better if it can also make the Boost
>>headers
>>> look like they were part of the compiler supplied header set.)
>>>
>>> --Beman
>>
>> Colocating Boost libraries with compiler-supplied libraries (and
>>colocating Boost headers with compiler-supplied headers) would be
>>problematic.
>
>[snip]
>
>I agree, it causes more problems than it solves.

I guess I wasn't clear. I wasn't suggesting colocation. By "make it look
like" I was suggesting an "as if" approach. Where the files live doesn't
matter.

Now it may be the only way to achieve that for some compilers is
colocation, but I was assuming that for most compilers there is some what
to tell them "always look here for files, as well as looking in the
compiler's own directories."

--Beman