From: Jan Langer (jan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-06 07:46:40

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, dylan_nicholson wrote:
>Btw no-one has yet answered my concerned about supporting passing
>char* and wchar_t* strings to file system functions. If the only
>forms available are templated on basic_string this isn't possible
>without explicitly creating the string yourself, meaning the above
>would be:
>
>name = absolute(std::basic_string<TCHAR>(ofn.lpstrFileTitle));
>
>assuming I wanted to be able to compile my application as Unicode or
>non-Unicode (we still write a lot of software like this).

it is possible and simple to provide the needed overloads. but for
functions with more than one argument it will result in a large number
of forwarding functions. the only thing to diskuss about is whether to
make these functions inline or not, but does nor work for msvc as inline
functions.

--
jan langer ... jan_at_[hidden]
"pi ist genau drei"