From: Jason Shirk (jasonsh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-24 23:54:19

where
> > we fail to compile legal code because of this.
>
> There's no problem with extensions as long as they can be turned off,
> and not by a sledgehammer like /Za. IMHO, the ideal would be to
provide
> a switch so that those needing this particular extension could turn it
> on, but to make your compiler compliant by default.

In this case, the "extension" gets in the way of compiling conforming
code. I'm not sure if that still qualifies as an extension anymore (in
my mind it doesn't, hence my use of quotes.)

/Za is a sledgehammer, but too many switches is also a problem. We'll
see about this one.

Jason Shirk
VC++ Compiler Team