From: Stewart, Robert (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-01 10:50:19

From: Dylan Nicholson [mailto:dylan_nicholson_at_[hidden]]

> --- "Stewart, Robert" <stewart_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > From: Dylan Nicholson [mailto:dylan_nicholson_at_[hidden]]
> >
> > In your own explanation, you show how two different OSes do
> it differently.
> > Other OSes probably have other rules. Some may offer no
> such pattern
> > matching rules. On Unix, the globbing is controlled by the
> shell, so there
> > is no standard other than the de facto standard created by
> the Bourne Shell
> >
> Not true, it is part of the POSIX standard. glob()/fnmatch()
> also follows the
> same rules.

OK, I'm not well versed on POSIX, so I'll defer on that point. However, it
doesn't change my basic premise which is that other OSes do it differently.
Again, your own example showed that Windows works differently than POSIX.

> As long as predicate methods are provided, it would be easy
> enough to write a
> predicate that worked based on fnmatch().

Agreed.

> I also think that reg. exp. matching should be done through a
> predicate, if
> nothing else to avoid the dependency of the filesystem
> library the on reg. exp.
> library.

That's an excellent reason to rely on a predicate to handle the RE pattern
matching. A standard predicate that uses an RE can be supplied in a
separate header. (Obviously, an overload of the function could be supplied
in that separate header, too.)

Rob
Susquehanna International Group, LLP
http://www.sig.com