From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-05 11:16:49

At 02:04 AM 4/5/2002, Hoeffner, Detlef wrote:

>Another requirement I would like to see fulfilled is that the output
>of the thread id is identical to the thread id the underlying system
uses,
>e.g. equal to thread ids that are shown in debugerrs or tools that show
>trees of processes and threads. This requirement is at least from my
>viewpoint much more important than having a unique internal
representation

That won't fly in a standard; implementors will baulk because they are
being asked to do something which may be impossible on some systems.

There is, however, something called "normative encouragement".

So you can say something like:

"Type thread_id must meet the requirements given here, but is otherwise
implementation defined. Implementations are encouraged to give thread_id
the same type and values as in the underlying native thread system, if
possible."

--Beman