From: Mattias Flodin (flodin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-06 02:54:07

When you do, please try not to leave the Unicode question out of the
discussion. A separate name such as to_wstring seems insufficient to me because
there are times when you cannot know beforehand whether the string type you're
casting to is single-byte or Unicode (e.g. when writing generic code). I have
posted a plausible solution (using partial specialization on the contained
character type) before in
http://lists.boost.org/MailArchives/boost/msg27288.php

In fact, functionality for directly converting between ASCII and Unicode might
also be something that people would consider to be a "lexical cast." Perhaps
this is not something that everyone feels would be of use to the common
programmer, but to programmers working with international applications I think
it would. The standard already has half-hearted support for these people. Why
not aim for making it whole-hearted (certainly, that would take much more work
than just fiddling with lexical_cast, but it's a start...).

--
Mattias Flodin <flodin_at_[hidden]>  -  http://www.cs.umu.se/~flodin/
Room NADV 102