From: James Kanze (kanze_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-07 15:07:34

Darin Adler <darin_at_[hidden]> writes:

|> I'm not sure why passing around plain pointers is more important in
|> multi-threaded applications, but I'd prefer to take your word for it
|> rather than discussing it at length. Typically, the only reason you
|> are forced to pass around a plain pointer is some legacy code or
|> system programming interface you can't control, and even that is
|> pretty rare.

>From my own experience: I've yet to find a way for "this" to be anything
but a raw pointer. And objects which register themselves with other
objects (and where the other object shares the ownership of the original
object) are quite frequent.

We tried the booch::smart_ptr in my last application, and decided that
it wasn't usable. No legacy interfaces involved.

--
James Kanze                                mailto:kanze_at_[hidden]
Ziegelhüttenweg 17a, 60598 Frankfurt, Germany Tel. +49(0)179 2607481