From: David A. Greene (greened_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-09 15:00:10

Eugene Karpachov wrote:
> 9 Apr 2002 05:55:49 +0400 Ernie Makris wrote:
>
>> It would look like the following:
>> log << log_debug << log_format("%e %1") % "config file not found";
> ^^^^^^^
>
> Please not that ugly format string again! Streams was invented to get
> out of this cryptic, type-unsafe and processor-time-consuming feature,
> so why not just to:
>
> log << log_debug << log_errno() << " config file not found";

I can't express my agreement with this enough. I'm sick of percent
signs!

>> The log stream would support levels, and a default level. etc...
>
> IMHO log streambuf would be enough; the rest is trivial.

For iostream logging, I agree. But the streambuf is non-trivial. :)As
Gennadiy pointed out, more support may be desireable.

                               -Dave

--
"Some little people have music in them, but Fats, he was all music,
  and you know how big he was."  --  James P. Johnson