From: Brian Hawkins (bmhmaillist_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-10 01:50:22

Hello again,

I recently posted a response to the logging library thread that I would be
happy to contribute the framework I have been using for logging. I believe
it may provide a reasonable solution to the problem of enabling/disabling
logs. I can summarize part of that here and would be happy to provide more
of my source code once I have cleaned it up a little, let me know if there
is interest.

OK, so to summarize the part that is relevant to this thread.

A log class is available that supports:
        Conversion to boolean (true to enable, false to disable)
        operator<< for output (the class is policy based so the exact method is
configurable)

Now we provide a define:

#define LOG(type) (type) && (type)

and we can then use it like this:

LOG(some_type) << "Log message\n";

This reduces disabled logs to a test and a branch, and they can be optimized
out in release builds by making the log class conversion to boolean an
inlined return(false).

I have found no way to avoid the macro unfortunately, all other approaches
subvert the logical AND short-circuit that this approach relies on.

Let me know any thoughts.

Thanks,
Brian Hawkins