From: Ernie Makris (ernie_makris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-10 08:59:38

Hello Fellow Boosters,

As I had expected, many people expressed interest in a logging facility.
Also, everyone has an implementation. Which is good. I think this is a
natural thing. Almost everyone has either implemented or used some logging
library. We will have many different designs to look at.

The question now is, how to proceed.
I think that people that said: "I have logging library X" should place the
code of the said library on the boost server. I've created a directory named
\logging-library.

For the first revision of the library, I think we should not go overboard. I
think we should concentrate on creating a simple design with out all the
bells and whistles(i.e. sinks that output to a database). For example, just
being able to log something to a file or console and be able to control
whether it is logged both at compile and runtime.
If we focus on a clean design that allows for all the extensions that we all
know and love, we should be able to satisfy the majority, I think;)

There are many design styles that can be considered in the design of this
library. So I propose an initial discovery phase roadmap:
1) Evaluate existing designs
2) Create brief requirements and objectives document
3) Experiment

I also like to comment that I don't want to be part of a massive design by
committee. This is type of library that can very easy to fall into that
trap. Lets focus on the basics first.

Also, just so that everyone knows my bias, I dislike macros. I think we
should do as much as we can without them and only use them sparingly. We
should leverage templates where macros have traditionally served.

What does everyone think?

Thanks
Ernie