From: Darryl Green (green_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-14 20:08:03

I've raised this issue before in the context of time types that need to be
supported by the generic time library. It is probably a trivial addition to
GTL. Boost threads would then need to be able to use it, which isn't so
trivial. This would require that the platform support something similar to
the Posix CLOCK_REALTIME (absolute UTC time) and CLOCK_MONOTONIC (not
impacted by making changes to the system time) and allow either clock to be
used. I don't think the CLOCK_MONOTONIC epoch is really specified - but
would typically be a measure of system uptime. Most systems would have such
a thing burried somewhere - though some have awfully short duration before
wrap-around occurs.