From: Ani Taggu (ataggu_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-16 20:20:11

One minor suggestion when moving AbstractFactory to boost -- it seems like a
good idea to use

typename ProductCreator=boost::function<AbstractProduct*>
instead of
typename ProductCreator = AbstractProduct* (*)()
in
template
<
class AbstractProduct,
typename IdentifierType,
typename ProductCreator = AbstractProduct* (*)()

class Factory ...

so that the boost functor can be used freely.

I use AbstractFactory right now in many of my programs. Using the boost
functor makes it much more general.

My $0.02,

-Ani Taggu

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <andrewalex_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Hello,
>

> It seems like my message "Porting Loki to Boost (reprise)" failed to reach
> its intent. In the nine kilobytes of the message there was a sentence that
> was widely discussed.
>
> Many people here have strong opinions and strong ways of venting them. I
am
> the same. The way I express my opinions and my vested interest in Loki
sends
> the wrong message, being interpreted as a "take it or leave it" attitude
> with regard to porting Loki to Boost. This is not the case, as the 9K of
my
> other message tried to convey.
>
> Furthermore, my criticisms addressed to other libraries might be seen by
> default as a comparison of those libraries with Loki, even though Loki
> doesn't even provide similar facilities, or provides them in a very
> rudimentary fashion.
>
> So I would like to make a new proposal.
>
> How about finding a lead, a person with enough enthusiasm and motivation
> take relevant parts of Loki to boost, and have that person collect
opinions
> and make decisions? That would have many beneficial effects. One is that
my
> voice will be probably better heard, and my points better taken, if I was
> just a kibitz among many others, rather than the sole (or principal)
pioneer
> of Loki. Another benefit would be that the lead (at best a boost vet)
could
> better figure out the best ways of integrating what boost has with what
Loki