From: Hamish Mackenzie (hamish_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-17 09:55:59

On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 15:42, David Abrahams wrote:
> Have you tried comparing this with the optimization Aleksey proposed?

Not yet. I'm going to try to implement size in the same way. After
I've done that I'll move on to count_if (where I think the generic
version might do better).

> > I am not suggesting we shouldn't optimise the generic/portable version
> > as well, but a 40:1 speed improvement might be hard to beat.
>
> Hard to know without trying, eh?

True, but unrolling alone is unlikely to cut it unless unrolling_size >
40.

> > I would be interested to know what the results are for como (I have a
> > copy of the beta version somewhere, but I haven't got around to
> > upgrading)
>
> Me neither. However, I have a bunch of Intel compilers which display
> typical template instantiation performance for all but the most recent
> EDG front-ends. Further, though, I don't think it's really worth testing
> until the MPL version has loop unrolling in it again.

I am bootstrapping the latest gcc 3.1 snapshot so I can check that too.

Hamish