From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (agurtovoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-17 20:52:20

David Abrahams wrote:
> After some considerable thought, what you're saying makes sense to me.
> However, a question:
>
> Are you insisting on the use of iterators in an optimized count_if for
> reasons of generality?

Yes, I would like to see the optimization applied to all kind of sequences,
not lists only.

> Of course it's always hard to tell what's going to make any given
>compiler's template engine happy, but this seems a bit
> like anti-optimization to me.

I propose to test it and see for ourselves :).

> What Hamish thinks he discovered was that GCC is really efficient
> at operating on simple type lists. Why wouldn't
> we want to capitalize on that?

We sure do, if we will have a prove that it outperforms my version
(significantly). If not, I would be opposite to code duplication.

> At least, it seems worth testing both approaches to see how
> they compare.

Sure.

> I'd only be willing to pay a small
> price for generality of the optimized version.

My position as well.

Aleksey