From: David White (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-18 05:40:08

There are two seperate issues that we shouldn't get confused.

One is the issue of implementing it in a threadsafe way. This is
relatively simple - just place it in thread-specific storage.

The second issue is the issue of only creating the objects on the stack.
This issue can be only marginally abated by declaring operator new
private. The issue of using the object as a member and then allocating
on the heap cannot be stopped by the compiler. Thus, the documentation
would have to clearly state the way in which vlarrays should be used. I
don't see this as too much of a problem - many types of objects have to
have care taken with their use. Also, it should be fairly easy to make
the debug version of the allocator complain very loudly and very quickly
if someone tries to store vlarray objects in a prohibited fashion.

David.