From: Andrei Alexandrescu (andrewalex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-18 09:09:49

"David Abrahams" <david.abrahams_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Unfortunately, some of our most capable compilers (the EDG ones),
are
> incredibly slow at template instantiation for the craziest reasons.
And
> some vendors (Intel) have added bugs on top of that which make the
> front-end even slower! So, while we all agree they /should/ be
blazingly
> fast like CodeWarrior, they are not always. I've reported these
problems
> and newer versions are getting the bugs fixed, however, that's no
help
> for the vast number of existing installations. Even GCC, when
working on
> tougher problems, can be really slow.

All right, so that's /compiler's/ problem. Is this implying that newer
compilers will render at least parts of MPL obsolete?

> Also, I don't think that simple traversals of 50 element lists
really
> begins to describe the potential complexity of metaprograms. When
you
> start designing new domain-specific languages, it's easy to create
> scenarios where a lot of non-trivial processing happens.

I believe that that processing can be performed with reasonable
efficiency. Again, there are languages that foster the same
computation model, with which you can do very complex tasks with
reasonable efficiency.

Andrei