From: Peter Simons (simons_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-19 12:46:30

Hi everybody,

a few days ago, I released the first version of libvarexp, a
system-independent C++ library that provides application programmers
with the ability to have variables of the form

    $(foobar)

expanded in arbitrary text buffers. In addition to this, the library
supports ...

 - operations on the variable's contents before the result is
   inserted, including regular expression search and replace,
   character translation a la tr(1), ranges, etc.

 - elementary formatting commands to the variable's contents.

 - arrays of variables and looping over those arrys in for() and
   while() style.

 - many things more.

My own experience with libvarexp, which is available from

    http://cryp.to/libvarexp/

by the way, is that it is incredible useful for providing one's users
with a powerful text-template mechanism in config files, output
formatting, etc.

I wonder whether it would be a good idea to have a library like that
added to Boost? I am aware that the current libvarexp is far from
fulfilling Boost's quality standards, but I'd be willing to work an
that. The question, is would somebody be interested in helping me
during the re-design and clean-up? And would anybody be interested in
having such a library in Boost at all? :-)

Any comments welcome!

        -peter