From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-22 09:19:58

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hamish Mackenzie" <hamish_at_[hidden]>

 If you are wondering why these figures are better than the
corresponding
> ones for size then you are not alone. It seems that the compiler
> prefers the input data I used here which is a repeating sequence of
two
> different classes (for size I tested a sequence containing only one
item
> type). I am going to look into this some more.

Hamish,

have you read my instantiation speed paper? We found some awfully
counter-intuitive results for GCC during that project also.
Unfortunately it can be difficult to even determine what to measure.
BTW, the paper contains some attempts to account for irrelevant effects;
you might want to read about it because it may lay some groundwork for
getting meaningful numbers.

-Dave